Cheryl Yang Ties the Knot with SETTV New Daily Drama 媽咪的男朋友

Youtube-_______[00_00_13][20140513-194640-9]
Cuteeeeeeee teasers!!!!! My queen is back, playing with the pun of Cheryl Yang‘s biggest hit My Queen or also known as Defeated Queen (敗犬女王). Tie The Knot (媽咪的男朋友) is set to follow after Fabulous 30 (女人30,情定水舞間) , airing somewhere in June, I’m very sad to see the adorable Fabulous 30 go but I think Tie The Knot will comfort me with its cuteness. Hopefully, it’ll have similar tone with the heartwarming Two Fathers (兩個爸爸), SETTV daily dramas tend to be very fun, easy to watch and breezy so I’m looking forward to this. The direct translation for the chinese title of this drama is “Mommy’s boyfriend”, I think it sounds a lot cuter than its official English title but oh well, at least the Chinese title sounds adorable.

This will be Cheryl Yang’s first tryout in SETTV’s 8pm daily drama timeslot and I can’t wait for this. She’s most well-known for My Queen but her dramas after that have been pretty mediocre and receive lukewarm responses so I’m hoping that Tie The Knot will be a good work to put in her resume. But what made me super excited was knowing that the leading man is Kingone Wang (Black and White, Fondant Garden, Happy 300 Days), WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT???! I never expected him to work with SETTV and I think this is his first collaboration with SETTV so that was a surprise when I checked the chinese wikipage of Tie The Knot and found his name as the leading guy. I always hated how underrated he is and he’s always a scene-stealer when he’s being the second lead or the poor sidekick. SETTV drama may not be the best in terms of quality but definitely the best stepping stone for actors and actresses to connect with the audience as their dramas tend to have higher ratings than other channels. Cheryl Yang and Kingone Wang?? YES YES YES!! That’ll be two equally talented people beautifying my screen, I’m ready for it.

Nylon Chen (Deja Vu), Mandy Tao (Love Family) and Steven Sun (In A Good Way, Two Fathers) will be rounding up the main cast and they’ll be icing on the cake. Cheryl Yang will be playing as a career-woman, a manager of a wedding consultant firm. Due to certain illness, she have to take out her womb and in order not to have any regret in the future, she went overseas to get sperm donor to have a child of her own before taking out her womb. Even though she witnessed many couples getting happiness as a wedding consultant, she have strong distrust in men as she found out that her father whom she admired the most since young committed adultery. It shattered the perfect father figure in front of her eyes.

This is not the first time Cheryl Yang plays as a mom but the whole “sperm donor” twist is very interesting and it infuses some fresh elements into the story. In her press conference interview, she said that the reason her character got sperm donor to have her own child is not only for her to not have any regret in the future, but also because of her strong distrust in man, that totally make sense. Not much is being said about other characters as Cheryl Yang is the only one who attended the press conference so I’m hoping that the cast list I saw on the wikipage is fixed. I want Kingone Wang!!!!

Check out the adorable teasers below. SETTV really know how to promote their dramas, tying this drama with Mother’s Day celebration is a great idea even though I’m late on posting these teasers.

Teasers:

– Mommy, Mother’s day is coming soon.
– Then, have you prepare a present for mommy?
– I want to find a boyfriend for you.

– Mommy, I want to give you a present.
– What present do you want to give mommy?
– I want to find a boyfriend for you.

Youtube-_______[00_00_02][20140513-194605-1] Youtube-_______[00_00_07][20140513-194622-5] Youtube-_______[00_00_08][20140513-194626-6]

The press conference video is cute with all those kids surrounding Cheryl Yang and teasing her with Mother’s Day Greeting, heh!

Press Conference

858092_239659022894975_897967166340122310_o 1549408_239661982894679_7653083621423611040_n d604608
d604596

Sources: [1] [2]

Categories News Preview Translations Twdrama

• galen • 3 years ago

Hmm.. kinda hesitating here. I love Cheryl Yang, but after My Queen she’s made completely horrific choices – I keep trying them out because of my love for her, but then I drop them before the first ep even ends, :(

Kingone Wang doesn’t really do anything for me, he’s serviceable, but kinda blah. I watched Happy 300 Days, or some of it, mostly for Kun Da, who I will watch most of anything for.

Fabulous 30 is still well.. fabulous, so I’m going to be sorry to see it go. It’s going to be the only 2nd SETTV 8pm drama I bothered to mostly catch up with.

• timeinthegray • 3 years ago

I don’t know if I have the time to see a daily drama but OH YES KINGONE WANG!!! I feel like he’s taken a sabbatical from dramas, even if that’s not necessarily the case. Same for Cheryl; I like her a lot but all of her recent shows have scared me away, so this seems like it’ll be a great project for her.

• galen • 3 years ago

My comment disappeared, :( Anyway, I’m happy to see Cheryl in something again, although frankly all her dramas after My Queen sucked so bad I could barely get through the first ep; the one with Sunny was the most bearable and I still skipped out early on. Her goodwill with me is running low. :/

I have no feelings about Kingone. He was decent in Happy 300 days, but I checked in to that mainly for Kun Da. Somehow he’s just blah to me.

I don’t know why your comment disappeared but I retrieved it :). I think the system allocated it to the spam comment. Anyways,Kingone Wang is great in fondant garden, black&white and many earlier dramas but I haven’t watched his happy 300 days so I can’t comment on that. Sunny and Cheryl Yang drama was pretty entertaining in earlier parts but then after the real dad comes back, it becomes annoying and I stopped watching. Cheryl Yang’s drama have been pretty mediocre after My Queen so I’m hoping this will be her new breakthrough.

• stuartnz • 3 years ago

Probably a really silly question, but as My Queen is the only Drama I’ve seen her in, I’m interested in this one, but I guess there’s no way the daily dramas would be subbed, by anyone?

Viki should have it subbed if you can access viki in your region :)

• stuartnz • 3 years ago

Thanks – my Drama addiction is such that I pay for both a Vikipass AND a decent proxy server to pretend I’m somewhere Viki will let me watch. :)

• luminousmint • 3 years ago

I love Kingone Wang, so this is really exciting. Finally, a leading man role that may do him justice! :)

I really like him too but it seems that he’ll only appear in ep7 T_T This drama is said to have dual-heroes, Nylon Chen and Kingone Wang together. The netizens are all angry that Kingone Wang is still nowhere to be seen when most of them thought that Kingone Wang is the main hero in the promotions but then, they found out that he may be the second lead again. *Cries for Kingone Wang*

• stuartnz • 3 years ago

Four episodes in, and even though I know that as an Anglo male my opinion ain’t worth a hill of beans, I am pleased with the male lead. Admittedly all I have to go on for Kingone Wang are stills, but for my personal aesthetics, the current lead is a winner in my book.

Haha! Everyone’s opinion matters, whether you’re a male or female. Nylon Chen is cute but I find his character a bit dull. Kingone Wang used to be more handsome than the current him as now, I feel he aged a little bit but he’s a senior in acting as compared to Nylon Chen and whenever he’s the second male lead, he’s always out to steal the limelight from the male lead with his acting skills.

I’m not sure whether his character will be interesting or not in this show but so far, I think the show’s characterization is pretty standard and some of them are even unlikable. I prefer its previous show, Fabulous 30, in terms of pacing and characterizations.

• stuartnz • 3 years ago

Thanks for the tip about Fabulous 30 – I shall check it out. I don’t mind this one so far, and want to stay with it at least long enough to confirm my 99.9% certainty that grumpy boss neighbour will turn out to be Hao Hao’s biological Dad too. If they made Kingone’s character the Dad instead, and had her still choose the 1st lead, that would be pleasant change for me, since the K Dramas I watch always have biology winning every time.